Burritt's Rapids Walking Tour "B"

This walking tour adds on to Burritts Rapids Walking Tour "A" by covering historic building in the part of Burritts Rapids north of the Rideau River in the City of Ottawa portion of the village.

Burritts Rapids Walking Tour B Map Name of Stop
17 = Todd House
18 = Harris House
19 = Patterson House
20 = Christ Church - Anglican
21 = Carlow Lodge
22 = Burritt Farm
23 = Edwin Burritt House
24 = Depencier Hotel
25 = Marlborough Cottage

Currently we don't have pictures or illustrations of the buildings, but these will be added in the next few months.

Stop 17 - 7764 Burritts Ave. (the Todd House) - James Todd, the owner of the sawmill, bought this property in 1904 and built his house shortly afterward. Of a period later than the rest of the houses on Burritts Ave., it was built in the vernacular version of the Queen Anne Revival style.

Stop 18 - 7760 Burritts Ave. (the Harris House) - Built by Hebron Harris or his son in the early 1800's, this house is a combination of a heavy timber and balloon framing. The eared are an early neoclassical feature and the off-centre door suggests that the interior was divided into two parts at one time.

Stop 19 - 7761 Burritts Ave. (the Patterson House) - James Patterson, blacksmith, lived in this house built in the 1850's. Narrow clapboard in 4 ft. lengths suggests that the L-shape and the main portion of the house were built at the same time.

Stop 20 - 4419 Donnelly Dr. (Christ Church Anglican) - This frame church in the Gothic Revival style was built in 1931 - 1832 for a congregation formed in 1822. On land donated by Daniel Burritt Jr., this church is one of the oldest operating in Ontario.

Stop 21 - 4416 Donnelly Dr. (Carlow Lodge) - Built in the 1860's, William Kidd, son of Thomas Kidd, lived and operated a store in the house. In 1895, Thomas moved to a brick house on Grenville St. and the house was turned into a double house and rented. Harold Kidd, his son, married in 1918 and undertook extensive renovations for his bride, Ray, converting it back to a single home and buying adjacent property for a garden. Ray named the house 'Carlow Lodge' after the county in Ireland where the Kidd family originated. 'Carlow Lodge' appears in the stained glass transom over the front entry which includes a curved pediment, dentil trim and pilasters.

Stop 22 - 4390 Donnelly Dr. (Burritt Farm) - Daniel Burritt Jr. was granted 238 acres in 1802 by the Province of Upper Canada. This stone cottage is an example of the homes built in the Rideau Corridor by stone masons after the completion of the Rideau Canal in the early 1830's. The neoclassical style includes good proportions, uncluttered outlines and decorative details such as the small gable over the front door with its oval window, the multi-paned windows and the classically moulded eaves. A unique feature is the identical front and rear doors that welcome travelers from both the river and the road.

Stop 23 - 4368 Donnelly Dr. (the Edwin Burritt House) - Grandson of Daniel Burritt Jr., Edwin had this house built in the 1860's on land he inherited from his father, Daniel H. Burritt. The house, which was built in the style typical of the period, appears to have been built in two stages, the first being the part facing west.

Stop 24 - 4418 Donnelly Dr. (the Depencier Hotel) - Originally an inn but now a private house, it is a classic example of post and beam construction. The pitch of the roof, returned eaves, lack of ornamentation and simple symmetrical proportions are typical of the neoclassical style of the mid-nineteenth century. Uriah Depencier was the first innkeeper in 1857. It had several owners until the 1960's when it became a private home. At times during its life as an inn, it had a brick wine cellar and a dance floor with a nickelodeon.

Stop 25 - 7744 Dwyer Hill Rd. (the Marlborough Cottage) - Christened 'Marlborough Cottage' by owners in the 1970's, this house was built in the 1870's in a style typical of the time. It had several owners until 1920 when Mrs. Goodwin (Depencier) bought the house and enlarged it to the north to include the well.


Ruth Burritt, Burritts Rapids 1793-1900, 1993

Olivia Mills & Renee Smith, Burritts Rapids 1793-1993, A Scrapbook, 1993

Harry & Olive Walker, Carleton Saga, 1968

Google Earth view of Burritts Rapids

* * *